Gottfried Schatz Research Center | Cell Biology, Histology and Embryology

Historical aspects of the subject

The Institute of Histology and Embryology was founded in 1872. Its first chair was Viktor von Ebner, student of Alexander Rollett, physiologist at the Medical Faculty of the Karl Franzens University Graz, established in 1863. It was Angelika Börner-Patzelt from the Institute of Histology and Embryology being the first woman in the history of the University of Graz who qualified for habilitation in 1929, and Carla Zawisch-Ossenitz being the first woman who was appointed to a professorship of Histology and Embryology at the Karl Franzens University in 1947. In 2005, when the subject was extended, also the Institute was renamed as Cell Biology, Histology and Embryology at the Medical University of Graz. The fact that the subject has emanated from physiology, points up that a central concern followed by all teachers and scientists of the Institute is the structure-function relationship. In 2018 the Institute was transferred to the newly established MED Campus Graz, and since then has been called Division of Cell Biology, Histology and Embryology being a part of the Gottfried Schatz Research Center of Cell Signaling, Metabolism and Aging.

Chairs

Viktor Ebner von Rofenstein

*1842 †1925

Chair: 1873 – 1888

        

Otto Drasch

*1849 †1911

Chair: 1888 – 1911

Josef Schaffer

*1861 †1939

Chair: 1911 – 1913

Hans Rabl

*1868 †1936

Chair: 1913 – 1936

Alfred Pischinger

*1899 †1983

Chair: 1936 – 1945

Carla Zawisch von Ossenitz

*1888 †1961

Chair: 1947 – 1959

Wilhelm Burkl

*1921 †2001

Chair: 1960 – 1990

Maria-Anna Pabst

*1948

Chair: 1999 – 2004


Gottfried Dohr

*1952

Chair: 1990 – 1999

       2005 – 2018

  • Muniverse
  • VMC Moodle
  • Forschungportal
  • MEDonline
  • Library